The newly-open permanent exhibition of the Museum of Decorative Arts in Prague presents Czech Cubism as a style that conceptually combines fine art, applied arts and architecture. The display of furniture suites and individual pieces, together with accessory furnishings and objects made of ceramic, glass and metals offers an overview of the foremost creative achievements of Czech Cubism’s key exponents. Represented are architects and designers Pavel Janák, Josef Gočár, Josef Chochol, Vlastislav Hofman, Otakar Novotný and František Kysela. Their works are complemented by Cubist paintings by Emil Filla, Bohumil Kubišta, Josef Čapek and Václav Špála, and sculptures by Otto Gutfreund. A screening of contemporary and period photographs featuring Prague‘s Cubist and Rondo-Cubist buildings and designs documents the influence of Cubism on architecture.
In the interactive zone, visitors are welcome to sit in replicas of Cubist chairs. An ordinary chair or a precious object for display? is the name of worksheets that invite visitors to explore seating furniture from unusual viewpoints.
The exhibition is accompanied by a printed guidebook and a map of Prague’s Cubist architecture that are available on the exhibition premises or can be downloaded from this website.
The tablets provide interactive information, such as a timeline of events, profiles of prominent figures of Cubism, some critical reviews and caricatures of the time, archival photos of exhibitions held by the Group of Fine Artists, and products of the Prague Art Workshops and the Artěl art cooperative.
The House at the Black Madonna is the first Cubist structure in Prague and was built as a department store in 1911–1912 after plans by Josef Gočár. In 2010, the building was included on the List of National Cultural Monuments of the Czech Republic. A copy of a Baroque statuette of the Black Madonna from the original house adorns the corner of the building, giving it its name.
New exhibition on the 4th floor!
“I will gladly photograph modern architecture in a modern way.”
Buildings designed by Josef Gočár, Jaroslav Fragner, and others in photographs by Josef Sudek